There are plenty of bird identification guides for Europe, but this handbook is unique in its approach; it is a hybrid between a field guide and the extended identification literature. Having both the clear character of a field guide and all the information about moulting, age and sex, this book is an indispensable addition for every birdwatcher.
By depicting exactly what is important for identification, this handbook is clear and practical. It combines information aimed at identification drawn from numerous books and articles, as well as the authors’ extensive field experience. All recognizable phenotypic variations are treated, with all characteristics pictured in the best possible photos and clearly indicated and labelled with concise texts.
Spanish edition of the prestigious Handboek Europese vogels – Alle kenmerken in beeld, translated by Marcel Gil-Velasco and Daniel López-Velasco, who are enthusiastic about the project. Marcel Tweeted: “This guide has truly impacted both Dani and me in a way that a bird book hadn’t done for a long time. It complies absolutely everything we know about ID and allows us to delve a little into the hypothetical. Instant classic!!”
What reviewers and readers are saying about Handboek Europese vogels – Alle kenmerken in beeld (comments translated from Dutch):
- “It has already been called the new standard in bird identification and with good reason. The ‘Handboek Europese vogels’ belongs in the bookcase of every bird watcher and, if you don’t shy away from it, in the backpack, bicycle bag or on the parcel shelf.” – Book review by Gert Ottens for BirdLife Netherlands
- “This identification book is everything you expected it to be – and that’s good news. It is beautifully and functionally designed. … You don’t take your identification interest seriously if you don’t purchase this work.” – Book review by Vincent van der Spek in Dutch Birding
- “Nils has now gone a step further, producing an amazing two-volume set, complete with identification points and – this time – photographs. … they aim to give as much information on visual identification and in-the-field ageing as you could ever want, with just as much attention given to common species as to rarities.” – James Lidster in British Birds
- “Personally it’s the book (s) I’ve been wanting all my birding life!!” – James Lidster on Birdforum
- “To be honest, I was immediately flabbergasted. This is such an incredibly detailed and extensive identification work on European birds that I don’t think it’s going to get any better. Unique and unparalleled.” – Online review on bol.com by hahjk
- “I personally think this is the best ever made of its kind.” – Online review on bol.com by Chris99991
- “Delighted to finally get my hands on this! … Nils’ previous book is the only bird book I carry in my car and this will now replace it!!” – Peter Stronach on Twitter