The most complete and up-to-date guide to the birds of South Asia. This book covers all species and subspecies of birds (over 2500) known from South Asia, including Bangladesh, Bhutan, India, Maldives, Nepal, Pakistan, and Sri Lanka, as well as Afghanistan and the Chagos Archipelago.
Revised and updated with the newest findings on vocalizations and taxonomy, including several taxa newly recorded for the region, species whose voice was previously unknown, and additional newly recognised species. Species lists follow familiar Peters order except where changes are well-corroborated by recent research.
- Now more user-friendly than ever, including vocalization descriptions for almost every species.
- Covers all South Asian birds (including Afghanistan and Chagos).
- Over 3400 illustrations appear in 180 plates painted especially for this book by expert artists. These depict all known regional species and most distinctive subspecies and plumages.
- Over 1450 colour maps, based primarily on verified records, represent the ranges of each regularly occurring species and many distinctive races, and distinguish migratory routes from winter ranges.
- Maps are annotated as to geographic variation, status and habitat.
- Concise texts give key identification features of each species.
- To assist in locating groups within the text, illustrated plate keys are provided in the endpapers.
Volume 1 (Field Guide) only. To buy the set of two volumes (Volume 1 – Field Guide and Volume 2 – Attributes and Status), click here.