This illustrated checklist describes and illustrates every mammal species found in Madagascar, as well as those of the nearby Indian Ocean islands of the Comoros, the Seychelles, Réunion and Mauritius.
- With an easy-to-use format that is very handy for the field, this new book enables visitors to see at a glance which species are present in the region, and gives pointers that will help towards their identification.
- Covering the 253 mammal species (219 terrestrial, 34 marine) occurring naturally in Madagascar, as well as 13 others restricted to the neighbouring islands.
- Texts for each species include common names in English and French; scientific names; conservation status according to the IUCN Red List of Threatened Species; the most relevant details about habitats occupied; and brief descriptive notes.
- Each species account is accompanied by one or more illustrations and a distribution map.
- Two separate sections deal with the land mammals of the neighbouring islands and mammals introduced to the region by humans.
- Also included is a table of selected sites for observing mammals in Madagascar, together with a note of some of the highlight species for each site.
- To further stimulate mammal life-listing, a complete checklist is provided, where you can mark the species that you personally have seen in the wild.